Monday, August 23, 2010

Ajmer University

I have been to this place before but never liked the sleepy,deserted look it always presented.The buildings in the campus were beautiful but the place never looked inviting.This time when I happened to be there on the 10th of August 2010 the place appeared to have changed.Instead of old weeds,& unwanted bushes a lush green campus welcomed me.Old desolated buildings looked new with well paved roads & lots of trees planted all around.I stayed in the university guest house with my wife.This too was a much better,cleaner & a well organized place. The staff was well mannered,& courteous. The rooms were neat &the food was tolerably good despite the limited menu & certain restrictions which are understandable.I was pleasantly surprised at this turn around of the university campus.It is now green not only because of the green fields & trees but also because of solar power panels for energy saving.I was told, not only by the insiders of the University but outsiders also, that the present Vice- Chancellor is responsible for this change.Well,I have known the present Vice-Chancellor.Prof.Bhagirath Singh for more than a decade.In fact we worked together for about five years in Rajasthan University when he was the chief Procter & I was his associate but I never came to know his full potential as an administrator. I never realized that this man can have such a good aesthetic sense.People say that appearances are deceptive & it proved so right in case of this old friend of mine.I am told that he has also introduced some new courses but I hardly had time to talk to him about them.However,being an academician, I know that new courses are very necessary for the academic upliftment of any university & Prof. Bhagirath Sing has realized it well.He seems to have some vision & is presently working in larger interest. There were & there may be many people who may make fun of him on various grounds but his work should be enough to quieten all of them.Well done Boss.I cannot refrain from praising you.Wish you good luck for the future.

No comments: